Sunday, June 13, 2010

Flashback - Mother's Day in Oregon featuring Grandma & Grandpa


We were fortunate enough to spend this past Mother's Day in Oregon - I can't remember the last time I was with my Mom on Mother's Day, it was so fun!

Dad treated us all to a most scrumptious meal of grilled salmon, mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, stuffed mushrooms, pani popos (coconut milk-soaked rolls; a Polynesian tradition and family favorite!), fresh fruit, and scrumptious chocolate dessert. But even better than the food was the company! Six of our seven siblings were present together (we missed you, Daniel!) and in addition to Mom, we even got to spend some quality time with Grandma and Grandpa!

Angel and her aunt sang "The Grandmother Song" for "GG" - ADORABLE!! I have to say that, though my dear Grandmother's memory is fading as her Alzheimer's disease progresses, she is becoming more sweet and endearing than I could ever have imagined. She is SO thoughtful, so kind, so grateful and so sweet. Her fun sense of humor even pops out to surprise us every once in awhile! :) While I dearly miss her sharp mind and vibrant personality, I truly cherish and enjoy her pleasant disposition. And it is so precious to see how patient and loving my sweet Grandfather is with her. I know 'growing old' has been very difficult on both of them these past several years, but they are truly examples to me of aging with dignity and grace. I love them both so very much and long for the day when I can spend time with them more consistently! I was SO blessed while in Oregon to spend an entire day with just them....unfortunately Grandma, suddenly, fell very ill. I went over during the wee hours of the morning to stay with her - sitting with her, tending to her every need, cleaning up after her, and, while she slept, enjoying quality time with Grandpa (without my kids bouncing off the walls!) It was one of the best days of my entire trip! Grandpa and I enjoyed some wonderful conversation, and Grandma was so sweet...every time I would bring her something she was SO appreciative, and saying "You don't need to treat me like a queen, I'm fine!" or "Why are you doing so much for me? You must be one of my daughters to treat me so well." Fortunately, most of the time (except while she was vomiting) she forgot she was sick - one of the perks of Alzheimer's! :)

Since we left the following morning, Mother's Day was the last time I was able to spend with my dear Grandparents. Grandpa realized this and, as we said our goodbyes, it made for a very tearful farewell. It touched me so much.

It is true - I have been raised of Goodly Parents...and Grandparents.

No comments: