Wednesday, February 24, 2010

On babies and tummies


This morning we saw our neighbor leave for the hospital to have her baby. We watched her and then Grins said "Mommy, is it going to hurt her so bad? Will she cry?" We discussed babies and childbirth, and since then, pregnancy has been on the brain

A short time later, while sitting on the counter helping me make lunch, Grins patted my stomach and asked, "Mommy, is there a baby in your tummy?" "I don't think so," I responded (I'm used to this as he asks fairly often). He then proceeded to kick me (gently) in the stomach. Surprised, I asked "Why did you do that?" "I just didn't want to hurt the baby so I asked first" he said. Completely out of nowhere. It was hilarious.

Angel, sitting next to Grins and hearing our conversation wondered aloud, "If there's no baby in your tummy, why does your tummy stick out a little bit?" Since I try very hard to portray a healthy self-image in front of my children, I was trying to think of an appropriate (non self-deprecating) response when she suddenly exclaimed "I know, it's a little tummy cushion!" It actually makes that annoying, impossible-to-get-rid-of, post-baby bump sound kind of cute, don't you think? So, there you have it folks - apparently, I have a tummy cushion. But I'm OK with that - evidence of the three beautiful children I have helped bring into this world. And that is worth every inch. (mostly :) )

2 comments:

Jana and Brett said...

haha love it! children are worth it...I'm glad I read your post. I get really frustrated with my 'cushion' some days. :0)

This girl said...

What little bump on your tummy? You have no belly whatsoever!