Friday, February 19, 2010

Match Day

Match Day is less than 4 weeks away and I am starting to have dreams about it now! Since I've had several questions about how this all works, I thought I'd briefly explain: (FYI if you're interested)

After 4 years of college, then 4 years of medical school, you graduate and are finally a Medical Doctor (M.D.) But you can't really practice medicine (at least on your own) until you have completed a Residency (additional, more specific training). So, in your last year of medical student, you apply to residency programs in the field of your choice. You complete applications, take exams, write essays, get letters of recommendation, and then, if selected, interview with various Residency programs. After interviewing, you compare and contrast the various programs with which you have interviewed, and come up with a "Match List" - a list of the programs you would like to attend, from your #1 choice down to your least favorite (but all of which you must be willing to be a part of for the next 3 to 6 years, depending on program length). The programs also make a list of their preferred applicants, and the lists go into a big computer program which 'matches' them all up. So, each applicant gets accepted to only one program, and that is where they must go.

This is a wee bit stressful for us, trying to determine which programs to rank so that 1) the Mr. will get the best training, 2) we find the best environment in which to raise our children (at least for the next several, formative years of their little lives, 3) which programs will be best for the Mr.'s careers as a whole (post-residency Fellowship opportunities and job market), etc. We realize it is not entirely up to us (some people match to their last or low-ranked programs) and strongly believe that the Lord is over all, but we want to make the most educated decision possible.

We submit our list in 2 days. Any final words of wisdom from anyone?

Oh, and I've noticed several votes for Maine. I have personally never been to Maine, though it has always appealed to me, but I'm wondering if any of you have specific reasons for voting for it???

Speak now or forever hold your peace. :)

3 comments:

Emily said...

I voted Maine, because it is closer to me! Still a couple hours, but it would be fun to have you near by! If you had a choice in Boston, I would have picked that. I know this is a tough choice, but I know you will make the right decision for you and your family and the Lord will guide you! Maine is beautiful and although I haven't really been there (just a piece near the border of NH) Robinson says it's beautiful!

Becca Jane said...

Hey Sarah,
Sorry I haven't been over to your blog in awhile! We need to set up a stomp rocket party for our kids!!
I voted for Portland, Oregon. I grew up there and LOVED it. But it looks like all of your options will be nice places to live, so wherever you go, I'm sure you will be happy. Good luck!!!!

Queen Bee said...

I voted Vermont, but Maine was my next choice. I suggested them because after living on the "other side" of the country for a few years I thought it was a great experience for our family, life really is different over there. I also thought it was a great experience to be in a smaller branch (although the east coast has plenty of huge wards), it changed our perspective some. And being farther away from family, both in Japan and in Ohio made us really rely on and grow together as a our own little family unit. I'm sure you'll end up in just the right place for your family, even if it might not seem like it at first. It was a little strange to move to Lubbock but after 6 months, I know for certain it's where we're supposed to be! We're excited for you!