Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Magic, the Meaning, the Miracle of Christmas


As much as I enjoyed our little Holiday Excursion at Trolley Square this past weekend (see previous post), last night takes the cake for our Christmas Tradition, at least so far this year, and it's going to be tough to beat!

I had the privilege of taking Kea and Kai to the Candlelight Christmas at This Is The Place Heritage Park. It truly was spectacular! We began with a delicious dinner at the Old Deseret Hospital (my kids downed the sweet and sour meatballs like I've never seen before. And, despite the large assortment of desserts available, Kai would only touch the chocolate truffles...simply turned his nose up at the tarts, cheesecakes, brownies and cookies! I had no idea he had such exquisite taste!) Following dinner, we took a train ride around the park. First stop - Hunstman Hotel, featuring a live band playing folk music. Makea and I danced our hearts out and the look on her face was priceless, she was simply filled with delight! Next stop, Father Christmas. This man was the "Real Deal" if I do say so myself...very kind, soft-spoken, gentle, and patient with the children. Treated all of us mothers as his children too which was very endearing. He played his part beautifully and the kids, of course, loved him. Next we stopped by the Old Brigham Young home for some hot cider, stories from Brigham, and live harp music.

Our last train stop was the highlight of our trip by far, and brings tears to my eyes even as I type this. We walked down a candle lit path to a lowly stable. Makea was simply mystified at where we were going and couldn't wait to see what it was! We first saw the donkey (Konkey, Konkey! yelled Kai as we approached) and I saw a hint of understanding creep into her eyes at what this was all about. Next we saw sheep and goats (to which Kai shouted ah-ah-ah-ah-ah - his own little version of a sheep baaa). We finally came to the live nativity, where Joseph watched as Mary lulled a sweet baby Jesus to sleep. The look on Makea's face was undeniable - awe, reverence and complete adoration for the Savior all wrapped into one. She actually knelt down in front of them, completely unprompted, and seemed to be mesmerized by the sight of Him. She spoke not a word but gazed up at them for several minutes, wrapped up in the moment, drinking it all in. I sat there with tears in my eyes as I witnessed my beautiful daughter experiencing the true meaning of Christmas. It was truly miraculous; a moment written on my heart forever.

If you are going to be in Utah this season, I highly recommend a trip to the This is the Place Heritage Park. You will be so glad you did!

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Wow, that does sound neat. Taylor and I are trying to do all the fun "Utah" things we can this year before we move away. Maybe we need to go to this.