Friday, December 28, 2007

The Gift of Music


I have always been passionate about music. To me, music is the voice of the soul. It can invoke peace and serenity more quickly than words alone ever could. It can lift the unbearable burden, calm the sailor in the eye of the storm and mend the heart which was considered beyond repair.

Music has played a significant part in my own life for as long as I can remember. My mother's soothing voice often lulled me to sleep in song. Through orchestra and choir, I met some of my dearest friends with whom I share fond memories, and who still hold special places within my heart. And it is through choir and a love of music that I met my love and eternal companion, Jon.

Fortunately we share this passion for music so it has been a high priority to make music a part of our daily lives and our family. I was so excited to get an IPOD this year for Christmas (thank you, Love!) For the past several days I have had a very difficult time putting it down and, as a result, have been enjoying my own music SO much (over the past 3 years, I've mostly been listening to Primary Songs, Nursery Rhyme Songs and Raffi...) While I LOVE jammin' with my kids, it has been so refreshing to hear some of MY favorites for a change! Maybe you all are better at it than I, but I would highly encourage all you moms to take the opportunity to listen to at least one MOMMY song each day. It is amazing what it can do for you!

Some thoughts to ponder:

"Let us sing a new song, not with our lips, but with our lives." ~St. Augustine
"We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of the dreams." ~Arthur O'Shaughnessy
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be mad by those who
could not hear the music." ~Friedrich Nietzsche
"I think a life in music is a life beautifully spent." ~Luciano Pavarotti

Some of my latest favorites:
Click here, here and here. What are some of your favorites?

No comments: