Sunday, January 15, 2012

Piano Lessons

I read a story in the Friend magazine a couple of weeks ago about some young children (ages 8 to 11) who played the piano for their church music program!  The article said their ward (church congregation) lacked a piano player, at least for the Primary (children's organization), so one of the adult leaders came up with the idea to have some of the children each learn to play one or two songs.  Each child told of how they practiced and practiced, and were able to perform it for their musical program at the end of the year!

It really inspired me to get my children started on piano lessons!  Of course we have always planned to put all of our children in piano lessons in a few years when we have the financial means.  We had initially decided to start them when they were 8 years old.  But reading the article just sort of inspired me and helped me realize that I have the knowledge I need to teach them the basics to get started.  So I decided to start now and see where it took us.  So we did!

Of course, we are still in the very early stages, so it's still very thrilling and exciting for the children.  But we are enjoying it immensely!


Grins was SO excited after his first lesson that he begged me to let him stay and listen to Angel's lesson too, so he could 'help teach her' and hear it all again.  He was literally jumping up and down listening to her lesson, he was so excited!  Every day they've asked if they could practice (I've never had to remind them!), and they have both already learned and mastered a song (right hand only so far...but good nonetheless!)  I LOVE watching them work together on it as I prepare dinner (and Wiggles sits in her little chair and reads)!  I keep thinking to myself, "It just doesn't get any better than this!"

No comments: