Monday, January 11, 2010

Reading


There are SO many wonderful things to read out there....but how to find time to get to them all?

Right now, I am in the middle of too many books/readings to keep straight:

Book of Mormon
Doctrine and Covenants
Ensign
Gospel Principles Manual
JAMA
Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline
Parenting with Love and Logic
1-2-3 Magic
Accountable Kids
Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
Sleeping Through the Night
Family Fun My Great Idea
Teaching Your Children Values
Saving Dinner
Pilates for Dummies
Housebuying for Dummies
The Complete Guide to Buying Your First Home
Complete Daily Curriculum (Preschool Lessons)
How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
Housecleaning with Children
Speed Cleaning with the Clean Team
I Didn't Plan to Be A Witch
28 Day Challenge
My Sister's Keeper
(though I hate to admit it)Breaking Dawn (there....I said it.whew.)
and, Ironically, How to Simplify your Life
(not to mention the 5,761 childrens titles we read each day. :) )

A few of these I read a chapter/article per day (or, in some cases, per week). But, since the first 4 on my list are what I consider my "required reading", and since I generally have only about 30 minutes of time available to read each day (once I've completed all of my other wife/mother/primary secretary/preschool teacher/babysitter/visiting teacher/etc duties), the rest of the books on the list get digested vvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy slowly, bit by bit...often in 27 second segments (ie - in the bathroom, in between children fighting, as I'm waiting for them to bring me their shoes, etc). So, my question to you, dear readers (especially parents of young children!) is this: When do make time to read? How do you keep up on the various books you are reading? Do you read just one at a time, or multiple books at once?

5 comments:

Belnap's said...

wow that's a lot of books:) For me...aside from scripture/ensign/church reading I just read one book at a time. And i read it when i probably should be sleeping. the truth is that i don't think my life is a busy as yours. your just amazing

Natalie said...

I feel the same way. I have many books I would love to read but don't have time for. There have many times I have checked out books from the library and returned them unfinished or unopened, sometimes after renewing them the maximum amount of times.

My ideal reading time is at night in bed with a few pillows to lean on. My mom did (and still does) this every night as long as I can remember. I am the youngest though, so it may not have happened when she had a houseful of very little kids. The problem is that in order to do this, I have to get in bed by 10 so I'm awake enough to read, which doesn't always happen. If I'm reading a book I don't want to put down I always seem to get it done (usually by staying up too late) and otherwise I keep scriptures and the Ensign by my bed and try to get a few minutes in before I go to sleep.

I don't know about you, but when I try to sit down and read during the day, the kids will stop whatever they've been happily doing and hound me for attention. I've been wanting to try having time set aside when we all read on our own in addition to having time I read to them, but haven't yet.

Queen Bee said...

Totally agree about the few minutes in the bathroom....
I've liked magazines more lately for that very reason. Although I have been reading Stones into Schools for "fun" and a few bits here and there of all the other required parenting/homeschooling/natural living/childbirth educating books I have to read. I find if there's something I really WANT to read, i find time to fit it in. If it's something I'd like to read but not REALLY into it (usually parenting books) they go much more slowly. Oh well. The scriptures everyday count for something, right? I sure hope so! :)

calittle14 said...

I am like that too. I'm reading all kinds of books at the same time. I find that I have to put my mind to it and get one done at a time.

I also have been listening to audio books on the iPod. I get books on CD at the library and then convert them into an audio book through iTunes. I find that I can listen to a book while I'm doing housework, etc. and get it done much faster than a normal book.

I try to read when I'm waiting to pick Milo up at school or a few minutes after the kids go to bed or sometimes while they are occupied with a movie or something.

It is something I continue to work on because I really like reading.

Timani said...

That is a long list of books!

I'm a binge reader. One book at a time and I take minimal stops until it's done. And I don't like reading books in a series until the series is finished. I waited many years to read The Work and the Glory and then finished them in a month.

I haven't read many books lately, but your list got me to thinking I really need to relax and have some great reading time. One summer we had a Japanese Exchange student (unfortunately he was really tough to have and was almost sent home. Dan's schedule didn't allow him much home time, so it was pretty much all on me.) He left on a Saturday and my kids started school the following Monday, so it was hectic getting them ready for school. I needed some "down" time, so I made a goal to read a new book every day for a week. I did it and it was so much fun and I felt rejuvenated.