Saturday, September 20, 2008

So Long, Dear Nutmeg










I almost feel like I've lost a family member...ok, that might be stretching it, but if so, it's not by much. I don't know how I became so sentimental but I seriously have such a difficult time letting go of certain things. The Mr. and I bought this car (which we affectionatly call "Nutmeg") just before celebrating our first year anniversary over 6 years ago! About a week after our purchase, Nutmeg took us from the West Coast to the East Coast and back again, with several stops along the way. She was with us while we served in the cast at the Hill Cumorah pageant. She was with us as we toured medical and PA schools. She has safely transported us to 18 different states and even another country! She has taken us to job and graduate school interviews, weddings, funerals and, most importantly, took us (VERY quickly) as a couple to the hospital, then brought us home (MUCH more cautiously) as brand new parents of a brand new family. She has been dependable and trustworthy, never causing us worry or trouble.

And now, suddenly, my dear husband has said it is time to move on. My expanding belly (and our expanding family) have led him to feel we need a bigger ride. How simply he casts aside our dear, sweet baby of 6 years for a 'bigger, better' model. Sigh. I suppose he is right, and yet, I cannot help but shed a tear at the loss of my dear traveling companion, my 1997 Mazda Protege, fender bender and all. And so, sweet little Nutmeg, I bid you Adieu.

No comments: